Amateur Radio Association of Nebraska
Amateur Radio News, Events and Information If you love Amateur Radio, this is the place for you.

April 25, 2018, 11:03:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News Alert: Notice:  The next meeting is January 17th, 2018 at Central Community College Dawson Building Room 132.  See Forum for More Information.  Notice:  Meeting will be at 7:30pm!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Meters  (Read 6545 times)
KBěHAW
Administrator

View Profilekb0haw1990
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:17:18 PM »

Are there any other 10 Meter fans on this site besides me?  10 was always my favorite band to work. 

Back when I first got into HAM radio, (21 years ago) my very first HF rig was a President McKinley 40 Channel mobile AM/SSB CB radio that I modified and converted to run QRP on 10.  I had Novice privileges on USB from 28.300-28.495, and you could always find me around 28.450.  I worked the world on 10 Watts PEP.  I also used this rig several years as Net Control for the CKARC Monday night 10 Meter net in Salina Kansas.  I regularly had between 20 and 30 local check-ins, and everyone agreed that my audio was outstanding.

I still love 10 when it is open, and lately, it has been WIDE open.

As many of you know, I am a broadcast engineer, so I am a big fan of AM.  I love the sound of a good quality hi-fidelity AM transmission, and 10 is a great place for that.  These days, you can find me between 29.00 and 29.04 in AM mode.  In the last few weeks, I have worked stations on both coasts of the US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, France, and Great Britain, all on AM, and all with just 7.5 Watts carrier power... about 22 Watts PEP... on an old Ranger 2900 with a Turner RK-70 Microphone into a 17 foot (half-wave) end fed aluminum vertical.

My current "Project" rig is an old Johnson Messenger 250 50th Anniversary Edition CB Base station with a Johnson-branded Turner +3 desk microphone that I picked up on eBay for $20.  This will be a GREAT sounding QRP-AM 10 Meter rig when I am done with it.

Do you have privileges above 28.500?  Join me on 10 AM.  You might have to build your own rig however... maybe convert an old CB, or dig out and restore a classic Heathkit DX series, Multi-Elmac, Johnson Viking, or Collins transmitter.  In other words, you can't be just an "appliance operator" on AM.  You need to get your fingers dirty, and learn something in the process.

Good Aftermorning!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Explore ARAN ....
Website Search  
Call Sign Search
Resources

Calendar, Gallery, Links, IRLP Node Status, Help, Search, Bookstore, Classes/Training, Education, Account Signup, Membership Brochure, IRLP Information, Member Roster

Forums

General Category, -Web Site News -General Discussion -ARAN News -ARAN Member Information -Public Service -IRLP (Internet Radio Linking Project) -Repeaters Classifieds, -For Sale -Wanted Education, -Ham Classes/Licensing -Other Training On The Workbench, -Amps -Radios -Boat Anchors -DXing -Antennas -Contesting -Digital -Computers -Electronics

Login, Register
ARAN, Amateur Radio Association of Nebraska
1417 W. 4th St.
Hastings, NE 68901

Contact ARAN
Join ARAN
Sitemap

View Our Stats