Skip to toolbar

Newby Question

Home Forums General Discussion Newby Question

Login Register
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    KD0BSB
    Participant

Hi Guys, I really enjoyed the welcom at the meeting Wednesday.  There is question that I have at this point about radio etiquit.  I hear sometimes when someone signs off, they say two calsigns.  I have presumed that one is the repeater and one is the operator.  Is this correct?  Or is there more to it?

Thanks

Paul
    KDØBSB

WD0DXD
    Keymaster

Hi Guys, I really enjoyed the welcom at the meeting Wednesday.  There is question that I have at this point about radio etiquit.  I hear sometimes when someone signs off, they say two calsigns.  I have presumed that one is the repeater and one is the operator.  Is this correct?  Or is there more to it?

Thanks

Paul
    KDØBSB

Paul,

That's a good question that I wondered about too when I started out.

Actually the first call sign is usually the other ham's call sign followed by your own.  As you listen, you will eventually pick it up.  Don't forget you can allway's ask, most ham's are more than happy to help a newbie out.

73's
    Allen
    KB0ASQ

KD0BSB
    Participant

Thanks!

KCØWA
    Participant

Paull : Allen is correct with his answer…… According to the FCC the only callsign that you are required to give is your own at the end of your transmissions, however, many hams, me included, usually give the call sign of the person to whom I am talking.  It's just a courtesy thing, in case somebody comes on the frequency in the middle of the conversation or maybe needs to talk to the person I'm talking with, or just wonders who I'm yakking with.  The repater will give it's own call sign either in morse code or voice and the end of your conversation or every ten minutes.  There, clear as mud, right?
    Woody
    KCØWA

Login Register
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.